Friday, July 30, 2010

A digression

Just returned from a spell in France which exposed a few weaknesses in Apple Technology. Don't get me wrong, modern technology is great, and I just luurve my i-Phone. However, when it goes wonky it doesn't just drive me crazy, the lost time and wasted effort in finding (and sometimes failing to find) a fix negates so much of the benefit it bought in the first place.

If you haven't got one, the beauty of the i-Phone is its almost permanent connection to the internet, with instant results from on-line searches without having to lug around a laptop and boot it up every time one thinks of something. So taking it to France and using my family's Wi-Fi was a no-brainer. Except that the i-Phone doesn't appear to be able to deal with hexadecimal password encryption, so three days were wasted for several people trawling the internet for an answer. (At least it proves that hexaD really IS effective, I suppose!) It seems we were not alone, and no answer was found. How did Mr Apple miss that one?

So for ten days I felt as if I had had an arm cut off. Never mind, it WAS supposed to be a holiday.

To really put the lid on it, on my return, it dropped the phone connection, and after two days of tearing my hair out, the problem was only solved by swapping the phone (on guarantee) for a new one. Have you ever tried to back-up to i-Tunes then re-load to a new phone...?

Phew! Five or six wasted days in all. I need another holiday....

No comments: